Them knees, them knees, them pesky knees


After having suffered from quite debilitating knee pain for the past 2 or 3 years and having seen physios, GPs and consultants, having been patiently through the NHS system and had an MRI scan and given up on it, Lisa persuaded me (by booking me an appointment without me knowing) to go and see an osteopath. She'd been to see them about her bad back and got a quick fix.

I went along for the first session, very sceptical but came away with some degree of pain relief. She has diagnosed me with patellar mal-tracking, which means the knee is not moving properly and this is possibly due to a muscular imbalance.

I have since been back for a second session (which involves a deep tissue massage, which is slightly painful but in a good way, if that's possible). After the second session, I was given wall squat exercises to do (see picture) regularly. Incidentally, I don't put my hands up when I'm doing it like the woman in the picture does. That would be daft, unless of course someone had broken into your home and was making you exercise at gun-point perhaps.

So far, so good. I am currently able to walk up and down stairs with minimal pain. This is a massive improvement. I am trying to be patient with my rehabilitation which isn't really my style, and its a bit frustrating but I feel I'm actually starting to get somewhere.

I have also been given the green light for cycling exercise - just not getting much of an opportunity to do it at the mo.

I am going back to see the osteopath on Saturday for a third appointment. Watch this space.

No comments: